The New York County District Attorney’s Office offers college graduates a prestigious opportunity to perform public service and gain legal experience through its paralegal program. The paralegals provide a full-range of support to the Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs) in the prosecution of crime in Manhattan.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist ADAs in all aspects of investigations and trials.
- Communicate effectively with all staff, both orally and in writing.
- Compile and analyze case documents for hearings and trials.
- Coordinate case schedules with courts, law enforcement officials, witnesses and defense attorneys.
- Draft correspondence and legal documents.
- Assist ADAs with proofreading, cite checking and locating files and documents.
- Prepare court calendars.
- Testify before the Grand Jury, at trial and other judicial proceedings.
- Perform related administrative and clerical tasks.
- Excellent organization, communication, writing, and problem solving skills are essential.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Ability to learn, update and edit existing proprietary applications and quickly learn and use various computer systems.
- Ability to work independently with frequent interruptions, manage deadlines and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, court representatives, law enforcement representatives and witnesses.
- Fluency in a foreign language (particularly Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese or Fukienese) is helpful though not necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required or expected by May/June 2017
- Cover letter
- Unofficial copy of your transcript
- 5-7 page academic writing sample (double-spaced)
- Three (3) current professional references (i.e. list of names with their contact information and your relationship to them)
- One (1) year commitment to the hiring bureau
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer