The New York County District Attorney's Office has an opening for a Supervising Rackets Investigator in its Investigation Bureau. In this position, under supervision, with wide latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Supervising Investigator is responsible for conducting a wide variety of criminal investigations. This position is similar to that of a police office that requires 6 months of academy training and requires you to pass a mandatory background check to carry a firearm.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervising, managing and updating all on-going criminal investigative caseloads.
- Supervising staff and managing fieldwork, consisting of surveillance, quality assurance checks, and various undercover operations.
- Reviewing voluminous and complicated facts to ascertain their validity.
- Reviewing and revising extensive and comprehensive narrative reports created by subordinates.
- Providing protective details, witness transportation protection.
- Investigating assaults, frauds, larcenies, extortion, identity theft, cyber-crimes, perjury, public integrity/official corruption, elder/child abuse, child pornography, robbery, burglary, narcotics investigations, organized crime, labor racketeering, conduct wiretap investigations, pre-trial support, etcetera.
- Executing search warrants often leading to arrests.
- Work in an undercover capacity.
- Deploy, operate and maintain both overt and covert electronic investigative equipment.
- Supervise, manage and monitor, at times, complex and lengthy investigations.
- Supervise, work with and oversee junior investigators when appropriate.
- Testifying at grand jury, criminal trials and all other court proceedings.
- Performing background investigations on employees, contractors and registrants.
- Ensure that background checks are sent out and received.
- Contact and interview witnesses.
- Perform field visits to businesses, communities and other contacts.
- Gather information through collateral contacts, financial institutions and other law enforcement agencies.
- Use various City based databases to perform background and information searches, such as: eJustice, IIS, IFCOM, Webcrims, Google and various watchdog registries.
- Working on special projects and tasks as assigned by the Chief Investigator.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Prior law enforcement or criminal justice experience.
- Ability to conduct confidential and sensitive investigations.
- Experience as an investigator evaluating credit worthiness.
- Performing investigations involving the research, compilation and/or location of evidence or information in order to build a case or uncover activities of a criminal, corrupt, unlawful or unethical nature.
- Proficiency in the use of wiretap equipment, GPS tracking devices, video and audio surveillance transmitting and recording devices preferred.
- Expertise in covert entry and installation a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment; detail oriented and self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and other law enforcement agencies.
- Three (3) year commitment to the hiring bureau
- Must posses a minimum of four (4) years of law enforcement experience two (2) years of which must have been conducting fulltime comprehensive and complex criminal investigations.
- Firearms qualification required.
- Must possess a valid certificate of completion from a New York State Basic Course for Police Officers academy, or must be eligible to attend and successfully complete a Police Officer Refresher course.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license.
- Must pass a medical exam, drug test, psychological screening and an intensive background check.
- As per NY Public Officers Law 2, §3-B, U.S. citizenship required.
Equal Opportunity Employer