The New York County District Attorney's Office has an immediate opening for a Paralegal in its Special Victims Bureau (SVB). SVB oversees five units that specialize in handling cases involving special victims: the Sex Crimes Unit, Child Abuse Unit, Domestic Violence Unit, Elder Abuse Unit, and Human Trafficking Unit. The mission of SVB is to bring order and stability to victims' lives while ensuring that their voices are heard in the criminal justice system.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Screen and investigate child abuse reports, assist Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs), investigators, police officers, and social service and medical agencies to evaluate possible prosecution.
- Assist ADAs in case preparation.
- Attend witness interviews in SVB abuse cases.
- Contact and coordinate meetings between victims and ADAs.
- Generate subpoenas; obtain evidence; conduct on-line investigations and phone record analysis in significant cases.
- Perform related paralegal duties as assigned by ADAs in all areas of SVB.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to work under pressure required; resourcefulness, initiative, and good judgment essential.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Spanish speaking preferred.
- Experience with children a plus.
- Knowledge of the office and criminal justice system a plus.
- Experience with Facebook and social networking a plus.
- Experience working with victims of child abuse or domestic violence a plus.
- American Sign Language (ASL) proficiency a plus.
- One (1) year commitment to hiring bureau.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer