|Campaign Start Date:||09/27/2016|
The New York County District Attorney's Office anticipates openings for Paralegals in its Appeals Division beginning in the summer of 2017. The Appeals Division provides New York’s appellate courts and federal courts with in-depth written and oral analyses of legal and factual issues, arising from a wide range of criminal prosecutions, to ensure that properly-obtained convictions are upheld and that no defect in the trial-level proceedings unduly affects either the public or the accused. The paralegals in the Division are responsible for providing a full-range of administrative and litigation support to the attorneys in the Appeals Division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Write with a designated attorney, an elementary legal brief each month.
- Maintain and update the Division’s automated case tracking system.
- Manage federal and state court related caseloads.
- Communicate with defense attorneys and various courts regarding status of appeals.
- Assist attorneys with all aspects of filing briefs, such as proofreading, cite checking, and locating files and documents.
- Perform related administrative and clerical tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access. Ability to update and edit existing databases.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage deadlines.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and court representatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required by start date.
- Cover letter
- Unofficial copy of your transcript
- Academic writing sample (5-7 pages maximum)
- A list of three (3) current professional references (a list of names with contact information)
- One (1) year commitment to the Appeals Division.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer