The New York County District Attorney's Office (DANY) has an opening for a (Temporary) Unit Coordinator in its Violent Criminal Enterprises Unit (VCEU). In this position, the Unit Coordinator is responsible for providing highly-skilled supervisory, administrative, and paralegal support to the unit and Office. VCEU is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of violent organized crime in Manhattan and beyond, including drug-related homicides, armed street gangs, interstate gun runners, and narcotics dealers. The Unit’s current principal focus is combating violent street crime committed by gangs, particularly gang shootings, and the possession and sale of illegal firearms. The Unit works with the elite units of the NYPD, as well as with federal agents from Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and New York City’s joint firearms and narcotics task forces to reduce violent street crime by disarming violent offenders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate paralegal and support staff hiring process.
- Responsible for supervising and training paralegal, secretarial support staff, and seasonal interns.
- Attend to other miscellaneous responsibilities relating to VCEU's efficient coordination.
- Update and maintain VCEU databases, case tracking system, and case files.
- Prepare and analyze statistical reports.
- Assist ADAs with miscellaneous paralegal tasks and in trial preparation.
- Perform other administrative and paralegal duties.
- Coordinate and maintain all defendant information.
- Serve as DANY’s liaison between local, state, and federal agencies.
- Testify at court hearings.
- Assist all aspects of policy implementation, including data analysis and legal and policy research.
- Create and maintain division spreadsheets for use in investigations, Grand Jury, and trial presentations.
- Perform computerized data searches relevant to unit cases.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- Ability to supervise various levels of staff based on agency initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Ability to quickly learn in-house proprietary applications.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff, witnesses, defense attorneys, and law enforcement personnel.
- Computer proficiency required: Microsoft Office (specifically Excel); advanced knowledge of criminal justice investigative internet search techniques.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple assignments.
- Associates degree or 2 years of college.
- One year of criminal justice experience preferred.
- Spanish speaking a plus.
- Paralegal experience a plus.
- Knowledge of the New York County District Attorney’s Office and criminal justice system a plus.
- Familiarity with the Office and New York courts a plus.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer