Bilingual (Cantonese) Rackets Investigator
|Title:||Bilingual (Cantonese) Rackets Investigator|
|Campaign Start Date:||07/06/2016|
The New York County District Attorney's Office has an immediate opening for a Bi-lingual (Cantonese) Investigator in its Investigation Bureau. In this position the Investigator is responsible for providing investigative case support to the Trial, Investigation and Specialized Bureaus Assistant District Attorneys. This is a sworn police officer position. The candidate must meet all qualifications to be certified as a police office on the NYS DCJS Police registry. This position requires you to successfully complete police academy training in New York State and you are required to pass a mandatory background check to carry a firearm.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ability to translate both written and verbal communication from English to Cantonese and Cantonese to English.
- Prepare translated transcriptions from recordings.
- Provide interpretations as required by phone conferences or in person interviews.
- Render court testimony on translations and interpretations performed. Proofread translations and provide feedback.
- Attesting to translations and interpretation in various court settings.
- Ability to work with and within the community to garner support and cooperation in investigations and cases.
- Managing and updating on-going investigative caseloads.
- Performing fact finding interviews of subjects and witnesses.
- Performing fieldwork, consisting of surveillance, quality assurance checks, and various undercover operations.
- Executing search warrants often leading to arrests; and making arrests when necessary.
- Reviewing voluminous and complicated facts to ascertain their validity.
- Utilizing various database and web based programs to verify and gather information.
- Prepare narrative reports.
- Testifying at grand jury and criminal trials.
- Performing background investigations for employees, contractors and registrants.
- Ensure that background checks are sent out and received.
- Contact and interview witnesses.
- Perform field visits to businesses, communities and other contacts.
- Gather information through collateral contacts, financial institutions and other law enforcement agencies.
- Use various City based databases to perform background and information searches, such as: eJustice, IIS, IFCOM, Webcrims, Google and various watchdog registries.
- Working on special projects and tasks as assigned by the Chief Investigator.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Excellent oral and Cantonese skills required.
- Prior law enforcement or criminal justice experience.
- Ability to conduct confidential and sensitive investigations.
- Experience as an investigator evaluating credit worthiness.
- Performing investigations involving the research, compilation and/or location of evidence or information in order to build a case or uncover activities of a criminal, corrupt, unlawful or unethical nature.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment; detail oriented and self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and vendors.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Ability to successfully complete a NYS Police (DCJS) Academy training or necessary components to maintain appropriate certifications.
- Two years of law enforcement experience or satisfactory equivalent.
- Firearms qualification required.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license.
- Must pass a medical exam, drug test, psychological screening and an intensive background check.
- As per NY Public Officers Law 2, §3-B, U.S. citizenship required.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Three (3) year commitment to the hiring bureau
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer