The New York County District Attorney's Office has an opening for a Rackets Investigator in its Investigation Bureau. In this position, under supervision, with some latitude for independent judgment and initiative, the Investigator is responsible for conducting a wide variety of criminal investigations. This is a sworn police officer position. The candidate must meet all qualifications to be certified as a police office on the NYS DCJS Police registry. This position requires you have successfully completed police academy training in New York State and you are required to pass a mandatory background check to carry a firearm.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting, managing and updating on-going criminal investigations.
- Conducting fieldwork, consisting of surveillance and various undercover operations.
- Reviewing facts to ascertain their validity.
- Preparing comprehensive narrative reports.
- Providing protective details and witness transportation protection.
- Investigating assaults, frauds, larcenies, extortion, identity theft, cyber-crimes, perjury, public integrity/official corruption, elder/child abuse, child pornography, robbery, burglary, narcotics investigations, organized crime, labor racketeering, conduct wiretap investigations, pre-trial support, etcetera.
- Executing search and arrest warrants.
- Testifying at grand jury, criminal trials and all other court proceedings.
- Performing background investigations on employees, contractors and registrants.
- Contact and interview witnesses.
- Perform field visits to businesses, communities and other contacts.
- Gather information through collateral contacts, financial institutions and other law enforcement agencies.
- Use various City based databases to perform background and information searches, such as: eJustice, IIS, IFCOM, Webcrims, Google and various watchdog registries.
- Prior law enforcement or criminal justice experience.
- Ability to conduct confidential and sensitive investigations.
- Ability to communicate investigative results to other team members and to testify in court regarding investigative results is also required.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal skills required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Must posses a readiness and ability to quickly learn and use various industry relevant computer software.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple short-term projects.
- Ability to follow directions and apply proper policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment; detail oriented and self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff and other law enforcement agencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must possess critical thinking skills and strong research ability.
- Must have a valid NYS driver’s license.
- Must pass a medical exam, drug test, psychological screening and an intensive background check.
- As per NY Public Officers Law 2, §3-B, U.S. citizenship required.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Three (3) year commitment to the hiring bureau.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer